Mad About the Boy
Mad About The Boy
- Orange, CT, USA
- Full Weekend
- Date run
- October 5 - 7, 2012
- Number of participants
- Authors: Tor Kjetil Edland, Margrete Raaum and Trine Lise Lindahl
Mad About The Boy is a Nordic larp by Tor Kjetil Edland, Margrete Raaum and Trine Lise Lindahl. It was produced in the USA in 2012 by First Person Entertainment, Emily Care Boss, A. A. George, George Locke, Jeramy Merritt, Sarah Miles and Lizzie Stark. The game was documented in The Book of Mad About the Boy (2012 US run).
The game is set in a world without men, and so has almost entirely female characters. As a result, the game was restricted to female players. This was controversial and resulted in allegations of sexism.
Mad about the Boy is a larp about survivors of a global disaster that killed more than half of humanity. An inexplicable disease killed all the men in mere minutes. The surviving women are facing not only the enormous task of rebuilding society, but also the possible extinction of humanity.
The world of the larp is inspired by the graphic novel Y the Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra. The larp does not use any characters or storylines from the graphic novel. Our story is about a group of women who have applied to an insemination program initiated three years after the disaster. As sperm has become a very precious resource, there are only a few women who will be given this privilege.
- The Book of Mad About the Boy (2012 US run). Sarah Lynne Bowman (ed).
- Mad About the Boy Sign-Up, Leaving Mundania blog, Lizzie Stark, July 26, 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2015.
- Lizzie Stark (2012) "Mad About the Techniques: Stealing Nordic methods for larp design". WyrdCon Companion 2012, p. 73-74.
- Mad About the Debrief, Leaving Mundania blog, Lizzie Stark, October 22, 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2015.